Monday, April 20, 2009

Healthy Relationships

What makes for a healthy relationship? It's a question that's been asked all over the world for years. Is there a definite answer? I'm not sure. Let's discuss.

There are lots of words that come to mind when you think of a healthy relationship. Love, trust, communication etc... Is there one specific thing that makes a relationship healthy? Is it a combination of things? My wife and I have been together for some time now and all in all I think we have a great marriage. Some would disagree seeing as we have a gf, but that's part of what makes us work. That's right, us. Every relationship is going to be unique. Which means that different things are going to work for different people.

In our particular situation trust is one of the most important factors. We all trust each other with our lives. Without trust there would be no way that we could live this lifestyle. Could you imagine having to always wonder what two women are doing?? I can't, because I've never had to. From the start my relationship with my wife was founded on trust. I've never had to worry about it and never will. That's one stressful part of a relationship that's taken care of.

Another big one for us is communication. Now, that's a tough one. Communication is one that after 11 years of being together we still struggle with from time to time. Same thing with our gf. What I think we do well is that we try to do our best to talk when things are on our minds. We know that we may not always like what we're going to hear, but if it's important enough for one person to bring it up, then it's got to be something that we shut up and listen to. Doesn't mean that we're always going to agree on things and yes that can lead to an argument, but as I've said in a previous post, I think arguing is OK in a relationship. Within reason of course. This doesn't mean that we go to each other about everything, but we know better than to hold something in. That makes for an unhealthy relationship. And that is a fact!

There's no secret formula for what makes a relationship successful or not. I think it takes a lot of work, energy, and effort from all parties to make it work. Our pastor said it best. A marriage isn't 50/50. It's 100/100. It takes 100% from everyone to make it work. I don't think we try anymore. I think it's become too easy to divorce someone and start fresh. It's not going to be roses all the time, but if you plant something can you just leave it and hope that it blooms? No, you have to tend to it, nurture it. In other words, you have to work if you want to have a beautiful garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment